Monday, August 2, 2010

Mint + Couscous = Yum!



I had all this leftover mint from the previous recipe and I really didn't know what to do with it! Also, someone at work frequently eats couscous, which I have always been curious about. So back to Google I went:

mint
couscous


I settled on this Mint Couscous Salad with Chickpeas recipe, because it can be served warm. I've discovered that I am happiest with warm food at lunch.

Again, I added a couple of handfuls of spinach and real cumin seeds in addition to cumin powder. It's really easy to prepare and ends up being a nice, light tasting and refreshing meal with lots of texture. I doubled everything in the recipe because I wanted at least 3 days of lunches and a bit for tonight's dinner. Here goes!

Mint Couscous with Chickpeas

2 cans of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
2 handfuls of spinach
4 tbsp of lemon juice for the chickpeas
pinch of red pepper flakes
cumin powder, garlic powder, onion powder to taste
sprinkle of cumin seeds
2 tbsp extra virgin oil
2 cups vegetable broth
2 cups couscous (only kind I found was flavoured - "Wild Mushroom")
4 tbsp of lemon juice for the couscous
4 tbsp of Greek yogurt
1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
chopped walnuts to taste

Preparation (15 min):
1. Toss lemon juice, olive oil, spices, chickpeas and spinach and let marinate while cooking couscous.
2. Combine vegetable broth and lemon juice and bring to a boil. Add couscous and then remove from heat. Let steep, covered, for 5 min.
3. Fluff couscous mixture with fork and add chickpea mixture.
4. Stir in Greek yogurt.
5. Stir in mint and walnuts.

Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment