Sunday, July 11, 2010

Pesto and Quinoa - a Happy Marriage!


I've been hearing about how wonderful quinoa (pronounced KEEN-WAH) is as a superfood. So of course I wanted to see what I could do with it. I was also craving pesto at the time and a google of "pesto" and "quinoa" brought me to Oprah's site. Specifically, her Quinoa with Pesto and Toasted Almonds recipe.

Here is my version of pesto's mating with quinoa:

1 tsp olive oil
2 cups quinoa (if you get the Ancient Harvest kind, you won't have to wash it)
2.75 cups chicken broth
2 tsp sized squirts of Gia pesto (comes from a tube) mixed with 2 tbsp of olive oil
two handfuls of chopped cherry tomatoes
two handfuls of spinach
as much pine nuts as you want to use (I sprinkled the top of each of my tupperware lunch servings)

Preparation (25 min)
1. Heat olive oil in pot over medium heat.
2. Stir in quinoa for about 7 minutes.
3. Add chicken broth. Bring to a simmer.
4. Cover pot and lower heat. Let quinoa cook for about 15 minutes or until most of the water has evaporated.
5. Stir in pesto and spinach and tomatoes. You'll get a fluffy colourful mixture.
6. Serve and top with pine nuts as desired.

Result: I love the pesto taste with spinach and tomatoes and pine nuts combined! Quinoa is a lot easier to cook than I imagined.

No comments:

Post a Comment