Sunday, July 18, 2010

My Attempt at Osh-Po-Lo.


This recipe was found when I googled recipes using my leftover ingredients from last week which I needed to use up ASAP. Namely these happened to be

chicken broth
cilantro
a treasure find of leftover basmati rice in my upper cupboards, an area rarely visited by my 5'2" self.


Result? One Pot Cilantro a.k.a. Osh-Po-Lo from this site.

Here is my version:

1.5 cups basmati rice
3 cups chicken broth or water or a mixture of both
150g of leftover turkey meat
a handful of chopped cilantro
a handful of chopped carrots
a couple handfuls of spinach
1 chopped sweet yellow onion
5 chopped green onions
3 minced garlic cloves
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp cumin seeds (yay cumin happy time!)
0.5 tsp coarse black pepper
2 tsp olive oil

Preparation (30 min)
1. Heat 1 tsp of olive oil in a pot - medium heat.
2. Throw in chopped yellow onion. Stir occasionally with wooden spoon and cook until translucent (~ 5 mins)
3. Throw in turkey or chicken meat and rest of olive oil and cook until no more pink spots. Mine was already cooked so I didn't have to wait.
4. Throw in minced garlic. Stir and cook for 1 min.
5. Throw in the rest of the chopped veggies and seasonings.
6. Throw in basmati rice and stir for around 2 min, letting the rice be coated in delicious yumminess.
7. Add 3 cups of water. I used up all my leftover chicken broth instead.
8. Bring to a boil and then lower heat and place cover on pot. Cook for at least 10 minutes.. until most of the water evaporates.
9. Fluff and serve! In my case, store for lunch :)

Result: Quite tasty! Strongest flavours were the cilantro and cumin :)

No comments:

Post a Comment